The Manager, Accounting & Special Projects will be responsible for managing the accounting/finances and other important business projects at Gold Leaf Farming, a fast-growing farming company based in Modesto, California. The position will report directly to one of the firm’s Partners.
Location: Preference for Modesto, CA; possibility of working remotely
Start Date: Immediate or by summer 2018
Hours: Part- or full-time; at least 20 but up to 40 hours per week
Compensation: In line with experience level and similar roles
At Gold Leaf, we own and manage almond and pistachio properties in California and Arizona. We are a young, dynamic company growing our acreage and team in 2018 and beyond. Our two founding partners are both in their 30s. As younger growers, we are aiming to build a farming company for the long-haul that will emulate the hard work, high character, and quality operations of past generations of successful growers – but also incorporate modern farming practices, technology, and business strategy.
At a young company, roles will evolve over time, but initially the key responsibilities of this role will be:
Accounting and Finance (~60% of time)
The Manager will lead our accounting and finance function for our firm and our properties. Includes:
- Managing accounting records in QuickBooks to properly track our finances
- Organizing, processing, and paying bills to vendors, payroll to employees, and other expenses
- Interfacing with our outside CPAs during tax season
- Preparing financial reports in QuickBooks and Excel to help Gold Leaf make business decisions
Special Projects (~30% of time)
The Manager will also be responsible for projects to improve the business. Includes:
- Research projects to look into new business opportunities for Gold Leaf
- Organization and administration projects to help improve business processes at Gold Leaf
- Regular communication with other Gold Leaf employees to coordinate and work towards goals
Other (~10% of time)
In addition to the above, assisting the partners of Gold Leaf with other activities that help grow and improve the firm, including research, hiring and management of personnel, and industry networking.
Suggested Skills & Experience
An excellent candidate for this role will have the following skills & experience. If you have some but not all of the below, please apply anyway. We look forward to considering all strong candidates!
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Accounting or similar field
- 2-5+ years of experience working in accounting or finance
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel/Office and familiarity with QuickBooks
- Strong verbal and written communications skills (in person and via phone/email)
- Strong organizational skills, process management skills, and detail orientation
- Positive/can-do attitude, self-starter mindset, and fun person to have on a team!